Friday, April 6, 2018




Passover Mina/Pastel con Gomo de Espinaca 
(Sefardi Passover Matzah Spinach Pie)

The recipe is from Olive Trees & Honey, by Gil Marks. This Sefardi Jewish pie is often referred to online as a kind of lasagna. However, instead of a pastry crust or pasta, it is 2 layers of matzah (the cracker-like unleavened "bread" of Passover) which contain the filling. The top is brushed with an eggwash, and then it's all baked until golden.

One of the fillings the book recommends contains spinach, and that reminded me of the leftover Saag Paneer in the freezer. Saag Paneer is an Indian dish that here contains spinach, onion, and tofu (in place of Indian cheese), so I thought it would make a reasonable shortcut for the first time making this Mina.

I really enjoyed this Mina. Now that I'm more familiar with the technique, maybe some time I can make it again with more traditional fillings.


No comments:

Post a Comment