Wednesday, April 18, 2018


Vanilla Ice Cream 
with Haroset 
(Date Syrup & Ground Almonds)

This was the last of some homemade Vanilla Ice Cream, topped with leftover Haroset. Different kinds of Haroset are part of the Passover Seder, to symbolize and commemorate the mortar used by the Biblical slaves in ancient Egypt.

There are many different kinds of Haroset made, depending on the family and community. Unfortunately, I don't have a specific family recipe. So, I decided to find a simple recipe that would use ingredients I already have at home.

I found several versions online of Iraqi Haroset, using Date Syrup (Dibs al-Tamar/Silan) and ground nuts. Most of these versions used walnut or pecans, but some contained pistachios, and a couple used ground almonds. I was very pleased with this version, and just like plain Date Syrup, leftovers go well with ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment