Wednesday, November 15, 2017


Melitzanosalata 
(Greek Eggplant Dip)

This was based on the recipe of Mia Kouppa. I had this on my "to-do" list, and eggplants were on sale at the supermarket recently. I bought two, and decided to roast both in the oven at the same time. The smaller one became this dip.

I used dried Italian herb seasoning, in place of the dried Greek oregano and fresh parsley, as that's what I had. I used lemon juice instead of vinegar, as vinegar in something like this isn't good for me. The most problematic was the garlic included in the recipe; garlic, much of the time, isn't very good for me, so I never cook with it. Normally, I just leave it out, and it's not a problem. However, this time, it seemed an integral part of the dip. Then I thought, Why not roast an onion? So, I wrapped a small onion in foil, and put it on the same baking tray as the eggplants. Part of that onion substituted for the garlic.

I decided to bake the dip, after it was all together. I oiled the dish first, added the dip, then added a thin layer of oil, before putting it on a baking tray at 375 F for 10-20 minutes. (I didn't record the time.) This is what I always do with Hummus, too, whether I make it or buy it at the store. The more cooked things are, the better they are for me. Anyway, I liked this dish, and I liked it even more the next day! There's so much flavor. It's nice to have another eggplant recipe for those times that eggplants are on sale.

Mia Kouppa Facebook

Mia Kouppa Website, Eggplant Dip (Melitzanosalata)


No comments:

Post a Comment