Wednesday, November 22, 2017


Khichdi, or Khichari 
(Red Lentils & Rice)

This is a nourishing Indian comfort food. I made plain masoor dal/red lentils (which turn yellow), to test out the Instant Pot. I did add some chunks of fresh ginger, to help make the dal lighter. After the dal finished cooking, I stirred it, as someone had advised, and the dal just fell apart. (For me, this is great, as this is exactly what I need, for health reasons.) Next, since that worked out nicely, I made some rice separately (on the stovetop), and flavored it with a simple tempering of oil turmeric, and cumin seeds. I did also add salt, at some point. For a meal, I mixed dal with the rice, for Khichdi, and accompanied it with yogurt. Normally, dal and rice are cooked together in this dish, and I'll probably do that next time. For this time, though, I was happy to have it like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment