Sunday, November 12, 2017


Sooji Upma 
(South Indian Savory Porridge)

This was made from sooji/rava/farina/semolina (like Cream of Wheat). This is based on the recipe of @justagirlfrommumbai as seen on a recent Instagram Story, as well as her website. I think I added a little too much turmeric! (which changed the color). Also, I have to grind up cashews, so you can't see them here. However, that has nothing to do with the taste. This dish was warm and comforting, as well as nourishing. It's excellent with yogurt.

Just a Girl from Aamchi Mumbai Website, Another Breakfast Post - Sooji Upma




2 comments:

  1. Another one of my favorite dishes. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Growing up, we would have it for breakfast, usually without the veggies or turmeric. I loved it with mashed banana mixed in. And a cup of tea on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, and that you have nice memories associated with it. I don't always add turmeric, but this recipe called for it. I tend to add frozen green peas, or frozen green-peas-&-carrots, because otherwise I'm afraid I won't get enough veggies, and these cook quickly. But when I first had it, at a friend's house, her mom also made them as at your house, without veggies (except onion) or turmeric . It sounds like a complete meal with the banana mixed in, and tea!

      Delete