Thursday, February 22, 2018


Baked Polenta Squares

These were inspired by the Dec. 17 post of @ahava_x . Also, my grandma once or twice spoke with nostalgia of Mamaliga (though she never made it herself) -- which I understand is a Romanian dish, similar to Polenta.

Although twice-inspired to make Polenta, cornmeal isn't good for me. Therefore, I decided to use masa harina (Latin American corn flour, used for tortillas). This substitution had previously worked well for cornbread, so why not polenta?  For the liquid, I used half-water, and half-milk (as I had some older milk to finish up), which made the polenta very creamy.

After letting the polenta cool and then refrigerating it overnight, I cut it into squares, and baked it at 450 F. It doesn't look exactly like @ahava_x 's results, partly because the milk made this creamer, and partly because the squares were too thick (not to mention the masa harina in place of cornmeal). To reheat, I cut each square across the middle, and cooked each half in the toaster oven with the already-browned side, down. I like the way it's so creamy, even though that wasn't what I'd intended. 

@ahava_x Instagram, 17 December 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment