Sunday, September 17, 2017


Adai (Indian Savory Pancakes of Legumes & Rice), 
with Oven-Roasted Potatoes 
& whole-milk yogurt

The Adai are from Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking. However, to save some steps, I used dal/legume flour (from putting the dry dal in a coffee/spice grinder). I mixed it with water, covered it, and left it in the fridge for several hours (although the original recipe doesn't require fermentation). These Adai reminded me how hearty they are, made from a combination of chana dal, toovar dal, and rice. I sprinkled on some Pav Bhaji Masala, to lighten it a bit. After taking the pic, I remembered that the last time I made it, I sprinkled on some brown sugar (in place of jaggery). So, I did that here, too (not pictured). The combination was the winner I remembered. 

The Oven-Roasted Potatoes were featured here recently, and are based on the simple yet amazing recipe of Spend with Pennies. (Can you tell that I really like potatoes?) I realized, hey, since I had these, they might go very well with the Adai ... and they did!

Spend with Pennies Website, Simple Herb Oven Roasted Potatoes




2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I was already drooling over the potatoes from the previous post and this combination looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm a big potato fan myself, and seeing the adai made me think of masala dosa (dosa with potato stuffing).

      Delete