Tuesday, September 26, 2017


Chana Dal Kichdi 
(Indian Rice & Legume Porridge), 
mixed with leftover Spring Veggie Sambhar

Here the dishes are pictured with store-bought whole-milk yogurt. The Chana Dal Kichdi recipe is from Archana's Kitchen and made recently, while the Sambhar had been frozen during the summer. I don't know that this is at all any kind of traditional combination, but I wanted to add something with veggies to the Kichdi. (I enjoyed it also with potato chips, not pictured.) The end result was very creamy and nourishing. 

My version looks a bit different from the lovely photos on the Archana's Kitchen website, as I first ground up dry chana dal. I mixed this with some water, covered it, and let it sit in the counter during the afternoon. I've mentioned before, that I've been testing out this method, as otherwise, I have to soak and cook the dal twice as long, and then grind it up, in order to be able to eat it. I thought that for me, this might save some effort. The only thing is, 1 cup of dry dal seems like a lot more, once it's ground up! Also, I didn't half-cook the dal first (as in the recipe) before adding it to the rice, so the rice took a long time to get done. Next time, I think I'll cook the dal separately, before adding to the rice. All of these issues are not the fault of the recipe, but were caused by my experiments veering from the recipe.

Archana's Kitchen Website, Chana Dal Kichdi


2 comments:

  1. Have you tried a pressure cooker? Dal (and rice) softens to a mush in a pressure cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't yet tried a pressure cooker. I'd still have to put the cooked dal and rice through a blender or food processor at the end, as the dal has a lot of fiber. But a pressure cooker would be nice if it could reduce the soaking time. I guess I'm a little afraid of pressure cookers, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete