Sunday, September 17, 2017



Paniyaram/Vadas (South Indian Savory Dumplings)

These were made from leftover Adai (Dal/Legumes & Rice Pancake) batter, and made in an ebelskiver (Danish pancake) pan. If you like, you can see the recent post for more details on the Adai batter. The last time I had made Adai, a very long time ago, my South Indian friend told me that her mom takes the leftover batter and deep-fries spoonfuls of it. It's better if I avoid deep-frying, so I made the dumplings (or would they be fritters?) this way, instead. This was a great way to use up the leftovers!




2 comments:

  1. We had vada at a restaurant last night. Reminded me of your pictures! How are vadas different from paniyaram? Is it just the shape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm not sure. I think vadas are made of batter dropped carefully into hot oil, and paniyaram are similar but cooked in a paniyaram or appam pan. That pan has small hollows in it. I use an ebelskiver pan (for Danish pancakes), since that's what's available where I live.

      Delete