Sunday, March 4, 2018



Baked Qatayif 
(Pancakes with Ground Almonds)

Now for something sweet! Here are Baked Qatayif (Pancakes with Ground Almonds). I wanted to make real Qatayif, Arabic pancakes filled with nuts, then baked or fried, and sweetened with a sugar syrup. Sounds yum! But ... it would be too rich for me, so I'd never made it before. Another thing is, while I enjoy pancakes, I find it difficult to stand at the stove long enough to make a batch, sometimes. What a bummer! Now, how could I make it more suitable for me?  Recently, I found an answer ...

I made Baked Pancakes, in a muffin pan! This was according to the Kitchen @ Hoskins method in the recipe for Baked Pumpkin Pancakes. I used the Basic Pancake batter from Mom's Big Book of Baking, by Lauren Chattman, except: I used 2 Tbsp almond filling instead of sugar, added 1 Tbsp rosewater and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract to the liquid, and used a little less milk.

The filling I used was from Lebanese Cuisine, by Madelain Farah, for her Qtayif recipe. The only difference was, I used 1 cup ground almonds instead of walnuts, and added a little extra rosewater. I stored leftover filling in the fridge, to use elsewhere.

I added some batter to each of the muffin liners in the muffin pan, sprinkled in some almond filling, and then covered it with more batter. Towards the end, there wasn't quite enough batter to cover the almonds, so they became more of a streusel topping. I baked it all at 375 F, for about 26 minutes. When I would eat one of these goodies, I'd reheat it gently, and then drizzle some sugar syrup on it. (Note: errant almond topping sticks to the pan, so it helps to at least wipe it off, after baking, while the pan is still somewhat warm.) I hope someday to try the real thing, but until then, I'm glad I have a substitute!

To illustrate what the real deal looks like, I've taken the liberty of adding links below, to YouTube videos of SmileyGirl230 making Atayif (just the pancakes), as well as Atayif bil Jibneh (pancakes filled with cheese, and baked). While I have never made her Atayif before, I have made other of her recipes, and they were outstanding! I have also added a link to Najat's Kitchen on YouTube's video of Atayef (with English subtitles), as she uses a walnut filling. While I have not made this particular recipe, I thought it would help to illustrate the traditional version. 

Kitchen @ Hoskins Website, Pumpkin Streusel Pancake Cups  

SmileyGirl230 Facebook

SmileyGirl230 YouTube, Atayef - The easiest pancakes you will ever make 

SmileyGirl230 YouTube, Atayef bil Jibneh - Lebanese pancakes with cheese 

Najat's Kitchen YouTube, How to make Atayef (Arabic Pancakes) (with subtitles)




No comments:

Post a Comment