Wednesday, March 7, 2018


Instant Poha/Aval Idli 
(Steamed South Indian Dumplings)

These were from the recipe of Hebbar's Kitchen. These are "instant," because the batter is ready to steam in about a half-hour, versus a much longer traditional process of soaking, grinding, and fermenting legumes and rice.

Poha/Aval are rice flakes, pounded flat, which cook more quickly than regular rice. In this case, just to be safe, I put the flakes in a coffee/spice grinder first, before soaking them in yogurt. Another key ingredient here is rice rawa/idli rava, for which I used Cream of Rice (as I believe it's the same). This is also soaked in yogurt. That, along with salt, water, and "a pinch" of baking soda, makes up the batter. The trick is, to get the pinch of baking soda right, as that helps lighten the batter. (It can help to watch a video of the recipe, where available.)

As this was a new method and recipe for me, I decided to steam it the first time on the stove, using 2 different kinds of non-stick egg poachers (not sponsored). Now that I have a better idea of the process and results, I can try it again, with an idli-rack. ... These Idlis were light, and my favorite way to enjoy them, was with chutney powder and coconut oil. 

Hebbar's Kitchen Website, Poha Idli/Instant Poha Idli Recipe/Aval Idli Recipe

Hebbar's Kitchen YouTube, Poha Idli/Instant Poha Idli Recipe/Aval Idli Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment