Wednesday, April 19, 2017


Dalia 

(Cream of Rice Porridge 

with Dried Apricots)


This is based on a breakfast porridge from the Northwest Frontier area, now in Pakistan. The recipe is from Julie Sahni in Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking. She says that the dish is usually made with an untreated cracked wheat, and suggests a substitute of bulger cracked wheat (which also cooks more quickly). As I can't have either, I used Cream of Rice, instead. The other ingredients I used are: coconut oil (instead of butter), milk, water, dried apricots, brown sugar (instead of jaggery), and ground almonds. I drizzled some honey on the dish in the photo, as well as sprinkled on a little cardamom. Sahni refers to its "lovely milk-fudge aroma," while I noticed the milk-fudge-y flavor. Yum! Good any time of the day, for a sweet and satisfying meal. 





No comments:

Post a Comment