Wednesday, June 14, 2017


Paniyaram-Papadum Upma Sandwich, 
with Harissa (Moroccan chili sauce)

This is another way to use leftover Paniyaram (South Indian dumplings). (For more information on how I made the Paniyaram, you can see my post from the end of May, if you like.)

I know that people make Idli Upma, with crumbled leftover Idlis (another kind of South Indian dumplings), and decided I would do something similar. Except, when I went to add the Paniyaram to the oil and spices in the pan, I realized that I had far fewer than I thought. What to do? I decided to add some Papadum. These are store-bought legume wafers that are usually puffed in oil, but I puffed them in the microwave, instead, and broke them up, before adding them in.

The other ingredients were mustard seeds, urad and channa dals (legumes), a little onion powder, frozen chopped onion/carrot/celery, and salt. After mixing everything together, I added a little water as needed, and cooked the mixture on low, covered, until I felt it was done. Afterwards, I used it to top some toast spread with Harissa. As you may have noticed by now, I like to use all kinds of leftovers to top sandwiches!








No comments:

Post a Comment