Sunday, March 5, 2017


Makki Roti, or Makki ki Roti


This is a Punjabi flatbread from India and Pakistan, cooked on the griddle. It's similar to a corn tortilla. It’s often paired with Sarson Ka Saag, a dish with mustard greens. I liked that I didn't have to roll out the roti, and just in general, the process to make each roti was very quick. I made this for the first time several years ago, with a recipe that called for ground-up corn kernels; I almost broke the blender I was using, but not quite, fortunately. I paired it then with Sarson ka Saag, and was so happy that my new Indian friend/roommate enjoyed them! She, in turn, taught me to make chapatis and parathas, so I always remember her when I make Indian breads. 


The recipe calls for corn flour, and what was easily available at my supermarket was a well-known brand of corn flour for tortillas. (The writing on the bag is in both Spanish and English.) The corn for this flour is specially treated, which makes the nutrients more readily available. The recipe I used, from Neelam Batra's 1,000 Indian Recipes, refers to using this kind of corn flour, so I figured it would be okay. And it was, yay! 



No comments:

Post a Comment