Wednesday, February 22, 2017


Baked Burekas


This is my attempt at Baked Burekas, made with eggroll wrappers, filled with mashed potato.

My understanding is that burekas, a baked, filled pastry very popular in Israel, are related to Turkish börek, and were developed among Sefardi Jews in Turkey. They can be made with filo or pastry, and many recipes use frozen puff pastry. I have to be careful what I eat, so I was reluctant to use any commercially made dough/pastry, but didn't feel up to making my own. The alternative was to try with eggroll wrappers.

I don't usually like baked eggroll wrappers, at least the kind available to me. So, I was very happy when a YouTube video showed me the way: brush egg wash on the inside of the pastry, before filling and wrapping it up, as well as on the outside. That's what I did, it was fairly easy, and I liked and enjoyed eating the results. Yay, burekas! Gosh, it's been a while; I think I should make some again, soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment