Friday, February 24, 2017



Cheelas (or Theplas?)


The recipe I consulted said these Indian griddlecakes were called Theplas, but they seem more like Cheelas. They were made with a batter of gram/besan/chickpea and rice flours, with some seasonings. To doubly make sure they weren't too heavy for me to eat, I left the covered batter out on the counter for a couple of hours, and I also added a dash of baking soda. I don't know if that's what did it, but they were very light.


I topped the first few with some tomato and onion, but those fell apart and aren't pictured here -- though they were also delicious! My experimenting with the recipe gave the griddlecakes a strong flavor -- but I found that I liked it. I certainly have been looking forward to eating them for dinner, the last couple of days.


Here are a couple of recipes, which I haven't yet tried:




No comments:

Post a Comment